Educational Support Teacher
This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found
Mountain Laurel Waldorf School is seeking an Educational Support teacher to work with MLWS students to help them overcome hindrances to learning stemming from physical, social, and/or emotional imbalances, and academic needs. You would be joining our dedicated team of faculty and staff in shepherding our diverse population of children in an atmosphere that encourages active inquiry, fosters individual growth, and promotes respect for self, others, and the world in which we live.
This position will begin with workweek, August 27, 2018.
Through child study, assessment, therapies, and discussion, the Educational Support teacher would work cooperatively with the Education Support Coordinator as well as teachers, parents, and other therapists in a professional relationship to support educationally-challenged students, using the therapeutic educational indications of Rudolf Steiner and other complementary, effective methods (such as Multisensory Reading instruction.)
The ideal candidate would work closely and collaboratively with the Education Support Coordinator to meet the following needs:
- Develop recommendations for working with the students who have been identified by their teacher as needing support, including bringing Extra Lesson activities, either individually or in groups;
- Conduct assessments as necessary including observation of students in class;
- Provide in-class/in-home recommendations for students;
- Document observations of, and recommendations for, each student, the activities brought to the student, and the student’s progress, through periodic written reports;
- Meet as needed with the students’ teachers and parents, to give observations, feedback and suggestion. These meetings would be documented through written report;
- Attend weekly Three Streams meetings, and MLWS staff meetings, as necessary;
- Meet with Early Childhood teachers to discuss First-Grade Readiness, as needed;
- Participate in the Three Streams discussion of results, recommendations, and follow-through from the Second Grade Assessments.
- Attend informational meetings for parents to familiarize them with your work; and/or parent evenings in Grades 1-3; and/or targeted orientation meetings for new parents.
In addition to a love of children, the ideal candidate for this position would have training in various areas of special needs, as well as some interest in and/or experience with Waldorf Education. Individuals with Waldorf Teacher Training and an eye to becoming a lead teacher are encouraged to apply. Patience, curiosity, and an interest in human development are essential.
TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send the following:
- Cover letter
- Current applicable certifications/licenses
- Three references
Mountain Laurel Waldorf School is a fully accredited AWSNA member school.
We are looking for a trained and experienced pedagogical eurythmist to teach K-8 over a series of two 12 week blocks at Mountain Laurel Waldorf School during the 2018 – 2019 school year. We have a piano accompanist on staff. We are open to flexible scheduling requests as we seek an individual with charisma, grace and boldness to build our Eurythmy community. There is a strong interest from our parent body to participate in evening adult classes.
We hope to establish a full time Eurythmy position in the near future with a wish to augment our program with therapeutic Eurythmy, which is so clearly needed by today’s children. We are looking for someone to join our community and to help bring Eurythmy to our children.
Mountain Laurel Waldorf School, a Nursery through Eighth Grade school, was founded in 1983 by a group of parents searching for an educational alternative for their children. The school is housed in a charming Victorian mansion, circa 1876, which is in walking distance from the village center of New Paltz, Historic Huguenot Street (the oldest street in America), the State University of New York (SUNY) campus, and a large community playground where our elementary school children play. Our music program includes both an afterschool chamber group and recorder ensemble. The school currently has a mandate group system of governance and a committed College of Teachers.
Located in the beautiful Mid-Hudson Valley, Mountain Laurel Waldorf School is approximately ninety miles from New York City. It is home to many active artist and ecological groups, as well as the renowned Mohonk Mountain House skating pavilion and nature preserve. In addition, two major centers of Anthroposophical endeavor, Spring Valley with Sunbridge College and Hawthorne Valley are within proximity.
Please, send your resume and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.