Thank you for considering to become a part of our innovative community at Mountain Laurel Waldorf School.
Development and Marketing Director
Mountain Laurel Waldorf School seeks a Marketing and Development Director with enthusiasm for the work of connecting our community to our mission in order to attract families and foster a robust culture of giving.
The Development and Marketing Director serves as the primary fundraiser for the school, educates our community about the school’s needs, and inspires strong financial and volunteer support. The Development and Marketing Director creates and implements annual and long-range development plans to secure major gifts, annual giving and selected grants. The director also leads and collaborates with other key parties to plan and achieve successful community-focused fundraising events. The Development and Marketing Director leads capital fundraising efforts with the support of the Board of Trustees and the Lead Administrator, as well as marketing efforts with the Enrollment Director.. The Development and Marketing Director guides and supports the work of the development committee and ensures that the work of that committee supports both the short and long-term goals and objectives of the school.
The Development and Marketing Director is also responsible for maintaining an accurate fundraising calendar, managing the development budget, and maintaining an efficient record-keeping system for all development and fundraising work. The Development Director builds community within the school and represents the school in outreach and public relations efforts. They promote the school’s philosophy as it relates to the goals and objectives of Mountain Laurel Waldorf School and they help to foster the link to our Alumni and their families. The Development and Marketing Director reports to the Lead Administrator and works closely with administrative colleagues, the Board of Trustees, the College, and Parent Council representatives to establish and support a culture of giving within MLWS. This position works to build goodwill on behalf of MLWS beyond its immediate community.
The Development and Marketing Director should be in harmony with, and exhibit knowledge of the Waldorf Philosophy and its pedagogical methods. Priority will be given to candidates with a strong interest or background in expanding and supporting initiatives related to diversity and equity. The Development and Marketing Director should be friendly, warm and courteous with strong listening skills, and be personable and professional on the phone and when greeting people in the office.
The Development and Marketing Director should have exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport, handle personal and confidential information with discretion, and answer questions about the school sensitively and competently.
This position requires the ability to prioritize and multitask, take initiative, and work independently as well as part of a team. It requires strong organizational skills and the ability to handle short periods of high-volume work.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Non-profit organization development experience in an educational setting preferred
- Participation/experience in the planning and execution of capital fundraising campaigns
Strong, highly adaptable verbal and written communication skills for a diversity of
- Effective in recruiting, motivating, and supporting volunteers for events and projects
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office programs, Google Workspace, databases,
Constant Contact and Adobe.
- Creative and effective community cultivation and stewardship skills
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports.
- Cultivate donor relationships
- Work closely with the Lead Administrator and Board of Trustees to set and execute
- Implement annual giving strategies and communications including:
*Preparation of Annual Fund emails, mailings, phone calls etc…
*Production of development materials including a Contributors’ Report and/or Annual Report
- Build and maintain a development and fundraising calendar
*Ensure coordination between annual giving and other fundraising strategies, events, campaigns
*Liaise with the class representatives to coordinate school-wide fundraising activities.
- Manage the development database including:
*Entering updates to constituent data
*Generating reports and analyzing giving trends
- Serve as point of contact on AWSNA-wide alum initiatives
- Coordinate fundraising volunteers and activities for the Winter Fair, Spring Soiree and other volunteer-led efforts including sponsorships.
- Update development sections of the school website
- Manage online auction website and database (seasonal)
- Research, write and coordinate grant applications
- Pursue possible endowment and grant opportunities
- Maintain oversight of the budgets for fundraising events
- Promote and nurture relationships with local businesses and the greater community
- Work closely with the Lead Administrator and Enrollment Director to develop a communications, outreach, and marketing plan to ensure consistent institutional messaging and develop marketing.
- Oversee marketing activities
- Responsible for marketing budget and plan
- Execute against the plan (i.e. social media, newspaper and magazines etc.)
- Develop and implement strategies to raise the profile and improve the image of the
school in the greater community through community service outreach projects and events as well as various media and targeted event advertising.
The Development and Marketing Director will comply and keep up-to-date with school policies, reports to the Lead Administrator and works closely with the Board of Trustees. The Development and Marketing Director will participate in regular administrative staff meetings and attend regular College meetings as well as Grades or Early Childhood meetings when necessary. The Development and Marketing Director will participate in staff development days and any required staff training including ongoing diversity, equity, and inclusion training.
As a member of the Administrative team, the Development and Marketing Director will work to ensure the safety and security of students, coordinate with colleagues to provide consistent office staffing, and promote a friendly, welcoming atmosphere in the administrative offices.
This is a 12 month, full-time position. Benefits include tuition remission, partial health insurance (includes vision and dental) and a 401k (after 1 year of service). Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Please, submit a letter of interest, resume and contact information for three professional references via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.